Truancy and education neglect: Using AoH as a tool for Courageous Conversations
During the March AoH learning experience I proposed a community discussion on truancy and ed neglect issues. Given the complexity of the issues a communal approach is greatly needed. Please keep the ideas and thoughts coming!
This some of the insights that came out of the conversation:
· Need for community connections (between school-parents, youth-school)
· Labeling students as ELL or special needs creates performance and confidence issues.
· Disconnect between school and parents hinders a united front.
· There is great power in stories. Share them to build community.
· Need to explain education system to parents.
· These issues are not unique to one ethnic group or under-represented group.
· Showcase cultures and beliefs in school. Don’t be afraid of them.
· Explanation of system-expectation.
· Safety, belonging and significance in classroom.
- Parent Academy (St. Paul) SPEO (Minneapolis) help parents navigate the system, teachers learn about parents’ needs.
- Jim’s friends (North Dakota)
- Telavision.tv: Videos by at-risk youth.
· Parents must volunteer 2 times a year by signing up at enrollment.
· Take action! If position is cut, gather stakeholders and fundraise.
· Host gathering for parents at school to create community.